Fire Prevention Tips for Realtors

You can’t always stop an accident from happening, but if you’re a Realtor you can certainly do everything in your power to prevent one.  When it comes to fire safety, you can do quite a bit to prevent or at least give yourself time to respond and escape a home.

According to FEMA, you may only have 3 minutes to get out of your home in the event of a fire which means having a plan and early warning is critical for getting to safety quickly.  Here is our fire safety checklist.

Smoke Alarms

Smoke alarms should be installed on every level of the home, and there is no such thing as having too many.  For larger homes, having a smoke detector in your kitchen, the living room or common areas, in hallways between bedrooms, and in each bedroom. When showing a house or waiting for a client to arrive, the smoke alarm can alert you to a potentially disastrous situation before it gets out of hand.

Test your smoke alarms monthly and make sure they’re working properly.  Additionally, change your batteries as needed.  A good rule of thumb is to change the batteries in your smoke detectors at each time change.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Carbon monoxide is the silent killer.  Carbon monoxide is commonly caused by propane or natural gas-burning appliances, stoves, or pilot lights.  It’s heavier than air and indistinguishable without a detector.  Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed on each level of the house, tested regularly, and should be no more than 7 years old.

Electrical and Appliance Safety

Make regular inspections of the electrical systems as you can including exposed wiring, appliance cords, and extension cords.  Make sure none of the wirings you can see is exposed or damaged and that any electrical plugs or switches are not hot or overloaded with appliances.

If you notice anything amiss, unplug any appliances and call an electrician immediately.  When in doubt, contact a certified electrician to inspect the home and ensure that there is nothing to be worried about.  Finally, if you experience lights or appliances that stop or flicker intermittently, call an electrician as soon as possible.

Cooking and Candle Safety

Be aware of open flames and never leave an open flame unattended.  If you’re showing an oven in the kitchen, never leave it unattended, turn pot and panhandles to the inside of the stovetop, and make sure to double and triple-check that burners are turned off.

Be aware of open flames from candles or oil lamps and make sure that any open flames are burning in sturdy bases that can’t be easily knocked over.  Never leave a candle or open flame unattended and extinguish any open flames if you leave the room or exit the home.

Have an Escape Plan

As we’ve already mentioned, you may only have up to 3 minutes to escape from a burning home which means the time can’t be wasted searching for an escape route.

Establish an escape plan and know where to go in the event of a fire. Remember, no home how is worth a life, when in doubt, just get out.


{{contained_progressbar.count | number:0}} %